top of page

Easter Special

1 March - 12 Apr 2020


Common Holiday Dangers

Plants: Mistletoe: Very toxic, all parts, especially the berries.  Holly: Moderate to very toxic, especially the berries and leaves.  Poinsettia: Leaves and stems low in toxicity.

Christmas Greens such as Balsam, Juniper, Cedar, Pine and Fir:  All parts of these plants have low level of toxicity.  Hibiscus: May cause vomiting or bloody diarrhea if ingested.  Keep toxic plants out of your pet's and children's reach.  

Holiday Decorations:   Bubbling lights: Moderate to lethal toxicity depending on the amount of fluid (methylene chloride) inhaled or ingested.

Fireplace Colors (fire salt): Moderate toxicity: symptoms are gastrointestinal irritation with vomiting and a variety of other manifestations, including convulsions.


Angel Hair (spun glass): Low toxicity, can cause irritations of the eyes, skin and gastrointestinal tract.

Christmas Tree Preservative Solution:  Low toxicity, depending on formulation and quantity ingested.


Snow Sprays and Snow Flock:  Low toxicity, dry particles are inert: however, toxicity from inhalation can occur if sprayed directly in mouth 

Styrofoam:  Low toxicity: can cause choking from mechanical obstruction.

Christmas Tree Ornaments: Non-toxic, however intestinal obstruction and choking are potential problems.

Icicles (tinsel): Non-toxic, however intestinal obstruction and chocking are potential problems.

Snow Scenes: Toxicity may come from organisms possibly in the water, most notably Salmonella.

Read label warnings on all decorations and take the necessary precautions to protect your pet.

Winter Pet Care Tips

Snow Removal Salt: Some substances produced to melt ice and snow have a low to moderate toxicity, depending on the ingredients and amount of ingested.  Read the label and take necessary precautions.  Keep these products stored in tight containers out of your pet's and children's reach and be sure to remove salt from your pets paw immediately.

Antifreeze:  Even a very small amount of antifreeze can be fatal.  Precautions are necessary with all antifreeze products on the market.  Read labels and warnings carefully.  Thoroughly clean up spills at once.  Keep containers closed tightly and store them where pets cannot get to them.

Napping Cats:  Cats sometimes climb onto vehicle engines for warmth.  Before starting your engine knock on the hood and honk your horn.  Even if your cat does not have access to your vehicle, a neighbor's cat may have taken shelter there.  

Food:  Staying warm requires extra calories, so feed your pet accordingly When the temperature drops.  Talk to Dr. Johnson for advice on feeding your pet.

Water:  Always have clean, fresh water available for your pet.  If your pet is kept outdoors, be sure to check his water frequently since it may freeze.

Gifts and Miscellaneous Items

Button Batteries (disk batteries): Caustic, potentially high toxicity depending on the position in the gastrointestinal system.  

Aftershave lotion, colognes, Perfumes, and Alcohol Beverages:   Ethanol in various concentrations is moderately toxic depending upon the amount ingested.  The high concentrations of essential oils in true perfumes are especially toxic.

Plastic Model Cement:   Moderate toxicity.

Epoxy Adhesive:  Uncured hardener: Moderate to high toxicity.  Uncured resin: low toxicity, primarily irritation and  sensitization.   


Adhesive, Super Glue:  Low toxicity, however, most difficulty occurs when eyelids become bonded together.

Artists' Supplies: Crayons, Felt Tip Markers, Pencils, Water-based Paints: Low toxicity: may cause more than a mild mucous membrane and gastrointestinal irritation.

Petroleum-based Paints: Low toxicity: primary concern is possibility of aspiration.

Toys: Avoid toys with parts small enough to be pulled off and swallowed and toys painted with toxic materials etc.

Use same precautions as with children.

Information provided by Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets - Seasonal Pet Care Tips
bottom of page